The ketogenic diet goes by with many names such as LCHF (Low Carb High Fat), Keto diet, low carb diet etc. This diet is all about changing the energy supply within your body and helping you burn your body fat and lose weight. Now, normally when we eat carbs, our glucose level rises and here’s where our body derives energy from. However, such is not the case with this diet as it restricts carb consumption. Then how do we gain energy if our glucose levels are low? Here’s where Ketosis comes into play.
Ketosis is a state where our body receives energy from burning the fats in our body. Since body fat is the prime culprit for weight gain, this diet focuses on eliminating it from the body at a very rapid speed.
What Is The Ketogenic Diet?
In this diet, high carb foods are avoided and the foods that are high in proteins and fats are encouraged. This combination of avoiding carbs and embracing protein and fats is the way to trigger ketosis in your body. The sooner you hit ketosis, the sooner you’ll start shedding weight.
The ketogenic diet encourages to eat meat, low carb veggies, seafood, poultry, fruits, dairy, nuts and seeds since they contain low carbs and are high in fats and proteins.
Weight loss, however, isn’t the only benefit that this diet offers, it has many other benefits too. They are all discussed later in this article.
What Should You Eat In A Ketogenic Diet?
A ketogenic diet is designed on three principles.
- Eat low carbs.
- Eat moderate proteins.
- Eat a lot of fats.
Here are the foods that you need to eat when you’re on a ketogenic diet:
Seafood: Fish are low in carbs and high in proteins. They serve as a perfect food to keep your carb intake low without compromising on energy. You can eat tuna, salmon and mackerel as they are rich in fatty-acids.
Meat: When it comes to eating meats, ensure that you eat the type of meat that is low in carbs. Grass-fed, organic and unprocessed meats come in this category.
This, however, doesn’t mean that you can eat as much meat as you want. The amount you consume should be minimal because meats are protein rich and you only need a moderate portion of proteins in a ketogenic diet. If you consume a lot of proteins then it will create glucose in your body and restrict ketosis from taking place.
Dairy Products: Dairy products are rich in fats and help your body get into ketosis quickly. You can eat high-fat yogurt (in low amount), butter and fat.
However, milk should be excluded because a single glass of milk contains 15 grams of carbs. If you still want to drink milk then a smaller amount of skimmed milk can be used. Like milk, yogurts should be avoided too because they are rich in sugar and low in fats.
Vegetables: Consume a lot of green vegetables when you’re on a ketogenic diet since they are loaded with energy. Some good options are cabbage, cauliflower, zucchini, avocado, and broccoli. You can cook these veggies in olive oil or butter to enhance the taste.
Nuts: Nuts that are low in carbs can be eaten such as pecans, macadamia etc.
Sauces: Ketogenic diet emphasizes on consuming higher amounts of fats which is why meats, dairy, fish etc., are the main foods of this diet. To increase fat consumption, sauces that are high in fats can be introduced into the mix to trigger ketosis early. These include bearnaise, coconut fat butter and garlic sauces.
What Foods Should You Restrict?
Foods that you need to avoid are obviously the ones that are high in carbs such as:
Benefits Of The Ketogenic Diet
Balances Blood Sugar Levels: Type II diabetes is common among people who are fond of eating foods that are high in sugar. This diet helps control diabetes by restricting the consumption of sugar, which helps control insulin levels.
Enhances Focus And Concentration: Ketogenic diet is said to enhance concentration and focus because the energy released from ketones in ketosis goes to the brain and improves mental performance.
Suppresses Hunger: When you are on a diet that is calorie based, you tend to feel hungry from time to time because energy is used up all at once. However, in the ketogenic diet, the energy keeps releasing from time to time and thus you don’t feel hungry after a few hours all the time. This is also a great factor that contributes to weight loss.
Weight Loss: The main focus of this diet is to reduce weight and it does so by switching your body’s energy source from glucose to fats. This way you keep getting energy and keep reducing fats and thus your weight.
Ketogenic Recipes To Know About
Here are some delicious Ketogenic recipes to know about:
Chocolate-Peanut Butter Keto Cups (1 hour - 18 minutes)
- Coconut oil - 1 cup.
- Natural peanut butter - ½ cup.
- Heavy cream - 2 tbsp.
- Cocoa powder - 1 tbsp.
- Liquid stevia - 1 tbsp.
- Vanilla extract - ¼ tbsp.
- Kosher salt - ¼ tbsp.
- Chopped roasted salted peanuts - 1 ounce.
- Take a saucepan and melt coconut oil in it over low heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Add peanut butter and stir until it gets smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients (heavy cream, cocoa powder, liquid stevia, salt and vanilla extract.
- Pour the mixture into 10 or more silicone muffin molds, then sprinkle roasted peanuts on the top.
- Take a baking sheet and place all molds in it.
- Keep in a freezer for about an hour.
- Unmold the chocolate peanut butter and transfer to an airtight container to enjoy whenever needed
Easy Low-Carb Cauliflower Mac And Cheese (40 Minutes)
- Cauliflower head cut into florets - 1
- Salt - 1 tbsp.
- Mixed herbs - 1 tbsp.
- Ground black pepper - ½ tbsp.
- Olive oil - 3 tbsp.
- Shredded cheddar cheese - 1 cup
- Heavy whipping cream - ½ cup
- Ghee - 1 tbsp.
- Ground nutmeg - 1 tbsp
- Grated parmesan cheese - 3 tbsp.
- Preheat the oven to 450 F.
- Prepare a baking sheet with aluminium foil.
- Now place the cauliflower and sprinkle with salt, mixed herbs and pepper.
- Pour olive oil and toss until well coated.
- Roast it in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes until it turns crisp.
- Place in a baking dish of about 8 inches.
- Take a saucepan and add ghee, cheddar cheese, heavy cream and nutmeg.
- Heat over medium heat.
- Simmer for 5 minutes until it shows bubbles.
- Pour the cauliflower in this pan and stir well.
- Now sprinkle parmesan cheese from top.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes and enjoy.
How Soon Can You See The Results?
This depends on how serious you are about following this diet. The more carbs you avoid, the sooner you’ll get into ketosis and start losing weight.
If you are frustrated about your weight gain then you need to turn to ketogenic diet today and experience the results yourself.