A ketogenic diet is a low carb diet that is gaining immense properly among health enthusiasts. This diet aims to force the body to burn fats instead of carbohydrates through a process called ketosis. Ketosis: A metabolic state in which the body produces ketones from the body fat. The ketones serve as an energy source and eliminate the need to burn carbs to get energy. Thus, no carbs are needed in this diet. Some of the benefits of ketogenic diet include weight loss, reduce risk of diabetes, improvement in various diseases including epilepsy, and Alzheimer.
What Is Ketogenic Diet?
This is a diet in which high-fat containing foods are eaten to produce more ketones in the body. this is what a ketogenic diet is based on:
- 75% fats.
- 20% proteins
- 5% carbohydrates (carbs).
The main foods eaten in this type of diet include low carb veggies, fruits, dairy, nuts, seafood, poultry, meat and seeds. People who are frustrated with an increasing weight often turn to this diet because it brings changes in how the body produces energy from ketones.
What To Eat In A Ketogenic Diet?
Vegetables: Green vegetables are one of the most common energy providing foods in this diet. Dieters can go for cauliflower, avocado, cabbage, broccoli, zucchini and more. These vegetables can be eaten along with a blend of olive oil and butter to give it more taste.
Dairy Products: Including butter, fat cheese, high-fat yogurt (in low amount) is a good choice as they are rich in fats. While milk is one of the main dairy items, it should be avoided as one glass of milk equals to 15 grams of carbs. However, a smaller amount of skimmed milk can be used in making coffee. As for yogurts, they should be avoided too because they are low in fats and loaded with added sugar.
Nuts: Low-carbs containing nuts can be eaten such as pecan nuts and macadamia. Cashews should be avoided because they contain a higher amount of carbs.
Meat: While most of the dietary plans recommend to restrict meat consumption, ketogenic doesn’t. Meat that is low in carbs can be eaten such as unprocessed and grass fed meat. However, you need to control the amount of meat you consume because it is high in proteins and higher amount of proteins can lead to glucose production in the body and stop ketosis in your body from taking place.
Seafood: Fish are low in carbs and a good source of protein. Eating fatty fish like tuna, salmon and mackerel is recommended.
Eggs: Organic eggs are recommended to eat in a ketogenic diet. You can take them in a variety of ways including boiled, butter fried, omelette, scrambled etc.
Sauces: Sauces that are fat-rich can be included in every meal to increase fat intake. These include coconut fat, butter, bearnaise and garlic butter.
What To Restrict Eating
- Starch rich foods like pasta, bread, fries, potato, rice, porridge should be avoided.
- Legumes are carb-rich, and hence should be avoided.
- Foods loaded with sugar should be avoided including chocolate, BBQ sauce and sports drinks.
- Fruits that are rich in carbs should be avoided including apples, grapefruit and blueberries.
Benefits Of A Ketogenic Diet
Weight Loss: A ketogenic diet turns your body into a fat burning machine and it obviously aids in losing a lot of weight. This is achievable because the process of burning fat speeds up while insulin levels begin to decline.
Reducing Feeling Of Hunger: It can be bad if you feel hungry after a few hours of eating every meal. This increases your calorie intake and can get you fat and cause other problems as well. However, when you’re on a ketogenic diet, you don’t need to worry about staying hungry. The fat burning process keeps producing energy from time to time and doesn’t let you feel hungry often.
Improved Energy: The energy that releases from ketosis keeps you active at all times since this process keeps running constantly.
Improved Mental Performance: When the energy from the ketones is released, it goes to the brain and improves focus and concentration.
Controls Type 2 Diabetes And Blood Sugar Levels: Since a ketogenic diet strives to lower insulin levels, it tends to improve blood sugar levels as well and can help control type II diabetes.
Helps Reduce Disease Risks: The risk of getting diseases like cancer, diabetes, alzheimer’s is also reduced when a person is on a ketogenic diet.
Ketogenic Recipes To Know About
Here are some delicious ketogenic recipes to know about:
Quick Frittata With Tomatoes And Cheese (15 minutes)
- Free range or organic eggs – 6 large
- Medium sized white onion – ½
- Crumbled soft cheese like feta – ⅔ cup
- Halved cherry tomatoes – 2/3 cups
- Ghee – 1 tbsp.
- Chopped basil – 2 tbsp.
- Salt and ground black pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Take the onion, peel and slice it.
- Take a pan, grease it with ghee and cook the onions until they turn brown. Now, reduce the heat so that the onion does not burn.
- Crack eggs in a separate bowl and season with pepper and salt. Next, add basil leaves and whisk them all nicely.
- Pour this egg paste in the pan where you placed the onions and increase the heat. Make sure the onion has turned brown. Keep cooking until you begin to see the edges of the onion turning opaque. Once it does, stop cooking.
- Now top with crumbled cheese and cherry tomatoes and put it under the boiler to cook for 7 minutes or less, until the point when the topping seems cooked.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool. Time to serve.
Garlic Shrimp Zoodles (15 minutes)
- Medium zucchini – 2
- Peeled and deveined medium shrimp – 2 pounds
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp.
- Zest of 1 lemon and juice
- Minced garlic cloves – 4
- Red pepper flakes – optional
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped parsley
- Add olive oil, lemon juice and zest in the skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Now, add shrimps and cook until the point it turns pink and looks cooked (1 minute per side).
- Add garlic and red pepper, allow it to cook for 1 minute.
- Add zucchini noodles and mix well with the help of tongs for 3 minutes so that they are cooked properly.
- Season with chopped parsley along with salt and pepper, and your dish is ready to be served.
A ketogenic diet is a proven diet that helps to lose weight and reduces a number of diseases from occuring. Give it a try, but make sure to ask your doctor first.