Fiber is one of the most important nutrients in a diet which provides numerous health benefits. When we eat fiber containing food, the fiber avoids the digestion part and goes directly into the gut. Here’s where the beneficial gut bacteria feed up on fiber and provides many health benefits.
A person who takes the recommended amount of fiber daily (25 grams for women and 38 for men) will have an ideal weight, balanced blood sugar levels and a healthy stomach.
However, most of the diets include very little amount of fiber which is why people may not feel healthy when on those diets. Keeping this in mind, nutritionists invented a diet called a high fiber diet which includes foods that are high in fiber. This way you get your recommended dose of fiber in a natural manner.
What Is A High Fiber Diet?
A diet that encourages to eat foods that are high in fiber makes up a high fiber diet. There are various ways to start this diet. You can opt for a 7 day fiber meal plan or simply just add foods which we will be discussing ahead .
The foods to eat in this diet include fruits, veggies, whole grains, legumes, seeds, nuts etc.
Also, people who are on a very low fiber should start by including fiber foods gradually and refrain from eating too many fiber foods at once because it can lead to stomach cramping. Also, keep drinking a lot of water as it helps digest the fiber in the gut.
Foods To Eat In a High Fiber Diet
There are many foods which are high in fiber. Here is a list to help you choose them:
- Fruits: Fruits can help when you’re on a high fiber diet. Besides providing with vitamins and minerals, fruits are loaded with fiber.
- Apples - There is 2.4 grams of fiber per 100 grams of apple. Eating one or more in every meal can help increase fiber content.
- Bananas: Besides fiber, bananas are good at providing vitamin C - B6, potassium and of course fiber as well. There is 2.6 grams of fiber per 100 grams of banana.
- Blackberries: Besides being rich in other nutrients, they can provide 7.6 grams of fiber per cup.
- Blue Berries: You can get 3.6 grams of fiber by eating a cup of blueberries.
- Raspberries: 8 grams of fiber per cup.
- Strawberries: These not only provide with powerful antioxidants but 3 grams of fiber per cup as well.
- Pears: One of the most encouraged fruits in a high fiber diet because it can provide with 5.5 grams of fiber per medium sized pear everyday.
- Avocado: One cup of avocado can help provide 10 grams of fiber.
- Veggies: There are many vegetables which are high in fiber.
- Carrots: They provide with 3.4 grams of fiber per cup. Moreover, they are very low on calories, hence, a must vegetable to include in this diet.
- Beets: You get 3.8 grams per cup of beets.
- Broccoli: Besides being rich in manganese, iron, potassium and vitamins, it provides with 2.4 grams of fiber per cup as well.
- Brussels Sprouts: Besides providing with folate and healthy antioxidants, it is also a good source of fiber. It contains 3.3 grams of fiber per cup.
- Legumes: Kidney beans, lentils, black beans, edamame, baked beans, chickpeas split peas etc., are loaded with fiber and should be included in this diet.
- Whole Grain Foods: Whole grain foods are 28% fiber. They include rice, oatmeal, whole oats, popcorn etc can be included.
- Dark Chocolate: This can also be taken when on a high fiber diet since there is 10.9 grams of fiber per 100 grams of dark chocolate.
Other Foods: Turkey and eggs.
Benefits Of The Diet
Smooth Bowel Movement: Many stomach problems arise when the bowel movement is poor. These include as constipation and cramps. Fiber is said to relieve from these conditions by softening the stool content and making it easier to pass.
Reduces Cholesterol: Beans, flax seeds and oats help reduce cholesterol levels. Other than that, they also help keep the heart health in check and reduce stomach inflammation.
Balanced Blood Sugar Levels: Diabetic people should eat high fiber containing foods as they contain soluble fiber which helps to slow down the absorption of sugar. People who include the recommended amount of fiber in their diets also have a reduced risk of getting type 2 diabetes.
Weight Loss: Weight gain is a growing problem around the world and there are countless diets which claim to help lose weight but it confuses people. The simple solution lies in turning towards high fiber foods because they kill cravings as they help a person feel fuller for longer and suppress hunger. Hence, less amount of calories is consumed which helps reduce weight.
A high fiber diet definitely helps control weight, and improve stomach health. However, make sure you don’t go overboard and eat too much of fiber content at once because that can cause problems.
Make sure to stick to the recommended diet or there’s an even better option, consult a nutritionist to know about how much fiber should you include in your diet.