More than two-thirds of the U.S population is said to be overweight. This is largely due to the type of food that we eat. Diet plays the most important role when it comes to losing or gaining weight. have you ever thought of losing weight with the Atkins Diet.
They say losing weight is not easy, but that’s largely because people do not have the knowledge on the topic. This can be done with the help of the right diet. While there are many diets available that help lose weight, picking one that is really effective and easy can be difficult.
One of the most popular and effective diets in this regard is the atkins diet. It is not only known to help reduce weight but also helps to keep it maintained afterwards. Let’s know more about this magical diet.
What Is The Atkins Diet?
The atkins diet is all about eliminating foods that contribute to weight gain such as the ones that are loaded with sugars and carbohydrates.
A professor in the 1970’s named Dr. Atkins was the man who publicized this diet. According to him, when you cut off carbohydrates and sugars from your foods, the fat burning process in your body enhances, the insulin levels in your body decrease, and you rapidly begin to shed fats.
Cutting of carbs from your diet opens the door for ketosis to occur in your body. Ketosis is a metabolic change in your body where you burn fats instead of glucose (derived from carbs), hence you reduce weight.
4 Segments Of The Atkins Diet
This is a calculated diet and will surely show you results when they’re due. This diet contains 4 parts that you need to follow in a specific order if you wish to lose and maintain your weight. They are:
This is the first part of the diet where you need to consume only 20 grams of carbohydrates in a day. But that won’t make you full, so, turn to foods that are rich in proteins and fats to fulfil your body’s needs.
In this part of the diet, you need to determine what your carb tolerance is. To do this, increase your carb consumption gradually. This is a 2 week process where you will take 25 grams of carbs in the first week and 30 grams of carbs in the second. To make sure that you don’t exceed or fall short of carbs, eat these foods: cheese, nuts, berries and cherries.
You will begin to experience a drastic weight loss when you enter the 2nd part of the atkins diet which is why the 3rd part is about getting ready to maintain your weight. To do this, the dieter needs to add 10 grams carbs in a week and keep doing so until the rate of weight loss slows down.
In this part, limit fatty foods and increase your carbohydrates consumption to the point where your weight is balanced - it neither goes up, nor comes down. If you see variation in your weight at this point, lower or increase carb intake to adjust your weight and keep it balanced.
Foods You Should Eat In The Atkins:
- Meats: Beef, pork, lamb, chicken, bacon etc.
- Fish And Seafood: Atkins diet encourages to eat foods that are rich in proteins such as fish and seafood. You can eat trout, sardines, salmon, etc.
- Nuts And Seeds: Macadamia nuts, almonds, sunflower seeds and walnuts can be eaten.
- Full-fat dairy: Butter, cheese, cream and full-fat yoghurt are allowed.
- Healthy fats: Avocados, coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil and avocado oil are healthy fats and can be taken.
- Eggs: Pastured or omega-3 enriched eggs.
- Low-carb vegetables: Kale, spinach, broccoli, asparagus etc.
- Fruits: Low carb fruits such as apples, bananas etc., can be eaten.
Foods Not To Eat:
- High-carb Vegetables - (1st phase only)
- High-carb Fruits - (1st phase only)
- Starches - (in 1st phase only)
- Legumes: (in 1st phase only).
- Vegetable Oils
- Trans Fats
Benefits Of The Atkins Diet
Weight loss is the primary benefit of this diet. Since it limits taking carbs, weight can be reduced at a rapid rate.
Helps Prevent Or Improve Diabetes
When you eat carbs, it spikes your insulin levels as a result of which the person is prone to catching diabetes. Since this diet cuts off carbs, insulin levels remain balanced reducing the risk of diabetes. Other than this, if you already have the condition, this diet can help keep it under control.
The diet keeps cholesterol level in check and also helps maintain blood pressure, which helps keep heart diseases at bay.
Improves Skin Condition
Refined carbs can give rise to acne and damage your skin. Following the atkins diet avoids that from happening as carb intake is limited.
Here are some delicious atkins recipe that you can make:
Coconut And Almond Muffin (1 minute)
- Almond Meal Flour - 2 tbsp.
- High fiber coconut flour - 1/3 tbsp.
- Sugar substitute - Sucralose sweetener - 1 tbsp.
- Cinnamon - half tbsp
- Baking powder - ¼ tbsp.
- Salt - ⅛ tbsp.
- Extra virgin oil - 1 tbsp
- 1 egg.
- Take a microwavable mug and add almond meal flour, coconut flour, sucralose, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
- Now add the egg and virgin oil.
- Stir thoroughly.
- Keep the mug in the microwave for a minute and the muffins are ready!
How Soon Can You See The Results?
This diet may take some months to show you results. However, it is the kind that you need to stick to for a long period of time for weight to stay in check.
The atkins diet is an effective weight loss diet that also provides other benefits such as preventing heart diseases, treating acne and keeping the skin quality better. If you are looking to reduce weight and also keep yourself healthy, then turn to this diet today.