Losing weight is probably one of the hardest things to do. Once you do manage to achieve the desired weight, you cannot just start eating whatever comes your way, or avoid any form of exercise. If you give up your healthy lifestyle habits, you are going to regain the weight that you lost really quickly. And you surely do not want that to happen, especially considering all the weeks you spent trying to put off that extra weight.
Therefore, it is important to be aware of how to maintain your weight after you managed to lose those extra pounds. Here are some of the most important post-diet tips you should practise.
- You need to keep exercising. Once you lost weight you cannot expect to keep it off if you become a couch potato. Your body has by now got used to exercising on a daily basis, and if you are going to stop doing so it is going to end up putting on those extra pounds once again. Keep exercise as part of your daily routine. There are many different types of exercises you can carry out, and in case you start getting tired of a particular exercise, just be creative, by enrolling to a new class or starting to learn a new sport.
- You will need to follow a diet which will be enabling you to consume the recommended calorie intake. It is important to remain aware of the calories one is consuming. So, keep planning your meals and snacks, and keep choosing healthy, whole foods for your diet. The importance of including plenty of vegetables, whole grains, fruits and protein-rich foods can never be emphasized strongly enough.
- Stick to a healthy breakfast as this is the most important meal of the day.
- Make sure you keep the habit of preparing your snacks yourself. From homemade smoothies, to salads, there is nothing better than self-prepared snacks to do away with those cravings during the day.
- Limit refined carbs as they will easily contribute to weigh gain. So reduce your intake of white bread and white rice and opt for wholegrain options.
- Do not start frying your food because you are okay with your current weight. You will easily regain pounds if you start eating junk food. So keep cooking your meals wisely by steaming, baking and roasting.
- Do not start drinking sodas and juices and give up on water. Water needs to remain the focal drink of your day.
- Do not start piling up your plate. Small portions should still be retained.
- Keep track of what you are eating, and whenever you are in doubt if you overate or overindulged yourself, make sure that you avoid repeating this the next day. Weighing yourself often is important too.
Once you lose weight you are going to be happy about it, but you should not consider this to be like a mission accomplished. Weight loss and maintenance needs to be viewed as an ongoing journey, and one can only be successful as long as one retains a healthy lifestyle.