Most of us have thought about turning to a diet that will help us achieve our health and body goals, but very few us are able to make this transition. Truth be told, it is not easy to give up on what you love, but it is important to do so if you want to be fit and healthy. There are many reasons why people are not able to start or stick to a diet, including a lack of knowledge on how to start a diet in the first place. If you are planning on changing your life and give it a positive push then you have landed on the right page. Let’s talk more about how to start a diet.
What Are Your Goals?
The first thing that will help you start a diet is to determine why you wished to start a diet in the first place. For instance, if you are overweight then your diet must obviously be about losing weight. The point is that one must have clear goals about why they want to start a diet because this is where the motivation comes from.
It should also be mentioned that dieting is not only about weight loss, it has other health benefits too. Certain diets, such as the dash diet, have been proven to help control diseases like hypertension and even cardiac issues. The most effective way to start a diet is to remind yourself of the benefits.
Following A Diet Plan
The first step is to pick a diet plan. There are many types of diets from ketogenic diet to dash diet to vegetarian diet. You must pick one based on your own requirements.
Have a Start Date and Stick to It
‘Tomorrow’ is not the answer to when you are going to start your diet, the answer is always today. In case there are issues, you can mark a specific date on your calendar when you wish to start dieting. But, the most important thing is to stick to that date instead of shuffling it around.
Think About the Difficulties But Remember The Positives
Dieting is not really easy. You are going to find several difficulties, and most difficult of them all is having to deal with people around you. When you step out, you will see your favorite foods being sold like crazy. It can be tempting, but you need to remind yourself why you started a diet in the first place. Moreover, there may be naysayers as well. People will tell you why you do not need to go on a diet or what the side effects are. Remember never to listen to them.
Yes, certain diets, such as a crash diet, might have a few side effects, but not all diets are harmful. Still, you must speak to a nutritionist about it.
Speak to a Nutritionist
Make sure to talk to an expert before you go on a diet. This will let you get rid of all your doubts. You can know answers to all your dietary questions such as:
- Which is the best diet for me?
- How can I stay motivated?
- What can I eat or not eat in a specific diet?
- When will I begin to see results?
- Will there be side effects?
- What should I do in case I feel unhealthy?
A lot of people make the mistake of going on a diet without really understanding their needs. Remember that what works for one person may not work for the other. Our bodies are different and so are their needs.
For example, for one person 2000 calories may be enough but for the other 2500 may be the requirement. Since dieting has a lot to do with the calories, this point cannot be neglected, and this is where an expert comes into play. He or she can help you understand your body’s needs that depend on factors including your age, gender, metabolic rate and overall health.
Moreover, your nutritionist can prepare a meal plan for you keeping your requirements in mind. Since these plans are customized and are prepared with your needs in mind they are more effective in providing you with results. This is a factor that can be the difference maker.
Find Someone to Motivate You
Find a friend or a relative to motivate you to start your diet. The person can prevent you from delaying the diet and remind you to start when you planned on starting. Ideally, the person should have same goals as you, i.e: must be into health and fitness. This way the chances of being motivated would increase. Now, let’s talk about starting a specific diet. You can plan your own keeping this pattern in mind.
If You Are On A Mediterranean Diet Then Here’s How To Start It:
People who prefer a Mediterranean diet are concerned about their well being as this diet focus on eating healthy and keeping diseases like cancer, heart diseases, diabetes at bay. The best way to start this diet is to follow a 7 day meal plan. Here’s what you need to do:
- Breakfast: Start your mornings by having Greek yogurt along with some strawberries and oats.
- Lunch: This is when you are energy deprived, hence a whole grain sandwich that contains a few vegetables will do just fine.
- Dinner: Time to focus on a dish containing high protein, such as a tuna salad dressed in olive oil. You can also include fruits for dessert.
- Breakfast: Start with a perfect combination of dried fruits and whole grains. Hence, oatmeal with raisins is a good choice.
- Lunch: Remember the leftover tuna salad you had last night at dinner, you can eat the leftover or prepare another tuna salad.
- Dinner: Prepare a salad including ingredients such as tomatoes and feta cheese with olive oil.
- Breakfast: Prepare an omelet and include a few veggies such as tomatoes and onions. If you’re not full, you can add a fruit.
- Lunch: Prepare a whole grain sandwich that includes fresh vegetables and cheese.
- Dinner: Spice things up this night and prepare a mediterranean lasagne.
- Breakfast: Time to bring nuts into your diet. Start your day by having yogurt with your favorite fruits.
- Lunch: Make more lasagne or enjoy leftovers.
- Dinner: It’s fish time! Prepare a broiled salmon and eat with brown rice dressed with vegetables.
- Breakfast: Fry a few eggs and vegetables in olive oil.
- Lunch: Take greek yogurt, strawberries, nuts and oats.
- Dinner: End your craving tonight by preparing a grilled lamb, dressed with vegetable salad. To increase the taste, you can include baked potatoes as well.
- Breakfast: Again turn to oatmeal and raisins, if you’re not full, include nuts and any fruit (apple, if possible).
- Lunch: Vegetable whole grain sandwich.
- Dinner: It’s party time! Prepare a mediterranean pizza with whole wheat, top it with cheese, plenty of vegetables and olives.
- Breakfast: Omelet with olives and veggies of your choice.
- Lunch: The leftover pizza from last night will do great now.
- Dinner: Prepare a grilled chicken, add a potato and some vegetables. You can also include a fruit.
And repeat. You can bring a few changes to keep things exciting.
It is easy to start a diet if you are focused. Just remind yourself why you planned on doing so in the first place and start today instead of delaying it. Good luck.