An alkaline diet is one of the most popular diets today and is also followed by several well known celebrities such as Jared Leto, Jennifer Aniston, Gwyneth Paltrow and more. The reason of its wide popularity is due to its effectiveness. It helps prevent aging, weight gain and several life threatening diseases as well.
This diet is all about eating foods according to their Ph levels so as to balance the alkalinity in your body.
What Is An Alkaline Diet?
This diet claims that the foods you eat are responsible for producing acidity or alkalinity (Ph) in your body.
This diet restricts the consumption of foods that are highly acidic and are capable of producing acid in your stomach. The Ph of our body is measured between the range of 0 to 14. Lower the Ph level, higher the acidity and vice versa.
Foods ranging from 0-7 are acidic in nature and foods that range from 7 - 14 are alkaline. There are also some neutral foods that have a Ph of 7.
When we digest something and derive energy from it, it leaves behind an ash residue which may be alkaline or acidic. The alkaline diet encourages to eat foods that produce alkaline ash and not acidic ash.
Acidic ash can cause various diseases and make a person ill. On the other hand, alkaline ash is said to be protective and aids in improving overall health of a person.
Foods To Eat In An Alkaline Diet?
These have a high alkalinity score and should be consumed in every meal. Not only do they promote alkalinity but also aid in producing bile juice. This also helps with digestion.
Another green vegetable that is well known for its alkalinity effects and benefits. Apart from providing many nutrients, spinach is said to improve bone health by increasing the amount of calcium in the body.
Kale is one of the most alkaline foods available. It is packed with loads of iron, vitamin K and calcium, which is essential for the body to grow and strengthen.
This vegetable aids in reducing the levels of estrogen. High estrogen levels among women can be a serious problem as it can lead to weight gain, bloating, stomach cancers and even complications during pregnancy.
They provide you with enormous amount of potassium. They are not only highly alkaline but the fiber in them also helps to digest foods easily.Other than this, bananas also help in clearing various toxins from the GI tract. It other words, it nullifies the effects of acidic foods.
Cherries help reduce the risks of different types of cancers. Moreover, they are also said to help reduce inflammation caused by joint pain.
This fruit serves as an antioxidant since it is rich in vitamin C which helps to keep the cells safe from carcinogens. They contain very less amount of sugar and are high in fiber concentration, hence, they are ideal fruits for people who have increased blood sugar levels. Apart from that, they fall in the alkaline foods category.
A lot of people don’t know that pineapple is very effective at improving stomach issues and promote smooth digestion. There’s an enzyme called bromelain found in pineapples that aids in digesting foods and also eliminates a variety of intestinal parasites.
The benefits that apples provide are endless. They help regulate blood pressure and keep cholesterol levels balanced. Apart from that, including apple cider vinegar to the diet has amazing benefits too as it has antiviral and antibacterial properties that help to keep the stomach healthy and working.
Foods To Avoid In An Alkaline Diet
Despite the benefits of these foods, an alkaline diet restricts the dieter from eating these foods because of their high acidity. These foods include:
Benefits Of An Alkaline Diet
There are many benefits when it comes to alkaline diet. Some of the benefits include:
- Improves Muscle Mass And Bone Density: Since the alkaline diet emphasizes on eating more fruits and vegetables, they provide with minerals and nutrients which are essential for the body. These nutrients and minerals helps increase bone density and also help to build lean muscle mass. Other than that, vitamin D absorption is also increased.
- Reduces Risk Of Hypertension And Stroke: Alkaline diet helps prevent aging by enhancing the growth hormone production. This hormone also helps in balancing cholesterol levels and high blood pressure (hypertension).
- Reduces Cancer Risk: The alkaline diet enhances the capability of cells to absorb minerals and nutrients. This helps keep the body in a good and healthy state with all the organs functioning normally. Other than that, the fruits and veggies that are recommended in an alkaline diet help get rid of harmful toxins that may give rise to cancer cells in the body.
- Maintain Weight: Since only fruits and veggies are encouraged in this diet, the weight is kept in check.
Alkaline Recipes To Know About:
Here are some healthy alkaline recipes for you:
Avocado Ninja Smoothie
- Cucumber - 1
- Avocado - 1
- Spinach - handful
- Tomatoes - 2
- Lime - 1
- Take a container and cut the cucumber into small slices.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and scoop out the avocado.
- Add them all into a blender along with spinach and some water.
- Start blending.
- Once the mixture turns into a smooth shake, squeeze the lime on top and serve.
The alkaline diet is one of the most effective and popular diets because it serves the perfect amount of nutrients that one needs. Plus, it excludes all the foods that are acidic and may cause various diseases.